Potential customers are constantly searching for local businesses using local search terms. Google knows this and will give higher rankings to businesses that can indicate to Google they are both local and relevant. Google’s algorithms have recently changed, and search results that were once very similar Australia wide, are now quite varied in different locations (ie when searched from different towns or cities across Australia).
The first step is to ensure you have a Google+ for business page set up and verified for your business.
There are a number of other ways to help drive more local traffic to your website but one of the most effective ways to boost local traffic to your site comes from local Australian business directory listings.
These directory listings can help in driving search traffic, and also provide referral traffic from people clicking through from your listing.
It’s a great way to kick off your SEO if you’ve just launched a new website or a good way to give your local search rankings a boost if you are getting left behind by the your local competitors.
Top Australian Online Business Directories
Complete as many submissions as you can and it’s worth submitting these in this order as the directories at the top of the list have slightly more value than those towards the end.
Tips for submitting to directories
Submitting listings like this will involve entering the same information repeatedly. It can be quite tedious so it’s best to be prepared in order to avoid wasting time.
You can prepare by adding all the following details into one document before you start:
- Create 2 or 3 unique business listing titles
- Submission email address ( A Gmail address works well for this. If your website was built by Scoop Design, use the Gmail address provided on your website reference sheet.)
- Have business contact email address ready
- Business phone number
- Social media links
- 2-3 unique business descriptions (around 200 words is enough)
- Square logo image (300 x 300px works well on most sites)
- 5 business related images
- Business ABN
Having this data on hand to copy information will make the process much faster.
Directory Submission Tips
Here’s a few tips for getting the most from your Australian directory submissions.
- Search each directory for the business name and url to ensure there are not any duplicate listings.
- Use consistent login details for easy follow up.
- Make listings as complete as possible. (fill all fields and be comprehensive with the descriptions and details you add)
- Use variations on your titles and descriptions to create unique listings.
- Use a dedicated email to separate confirmation & marketing emails. (some sites will require a verification process)
- Expect to receive a few phone calls from directories upselling premium listings.
- Check for confirmation emails immediately and check again after a 5 or 6 days.